The final two episodes of Girlfriends aired 10 years ago after eight seasons. It was an end of an era for the sassy, crazy, sexy, cool comedic series and I, personally, was in my feelings for a hot minute when the show ended.
Each character brought completely different personalities to the table and they were super entertaining to watch.
Jill Marie Jones’ (Toni) departure from the show raised some eyebrows, but the show went on without much of a hitch – even though her character was truly missed. Toni brought an irreplaceable characteristic to the series.
I would love to see a reboot of the show with ALL the original cast members and characters on board but if that never happens, I’ll just keep imagining a remake — and I’ve even come up with my own cast selection:
Joan Clayton (originally played by Tracee Ellis Ross): Jordin Sparks
- Jordan Sparks made her film debut in 2012 as Sparkle Anderson in the remake of Sparkle. She has also made appearances on several TV shows.
Lynn Searcy(originally played by Persia White): Jennifer Freeman
- Jennifer Freeman appeared in You Got Served and Johnson Family Vacation back in 2004. She is probably best known for her role as Claire Kyle on My Wife & Kids, with Damon Wayans and Tisha Campbell-Martin. She also appeared on Real Husbands of Hollywood with Kevin Hart, and the series, Tales, on BET.
Maya Wilkes(originally played by Golden Brooks): KeKe Palmer
- KeKe Palmer is best known for her roles in Akeelah and the Bee and Madea’s Family Reunion, and also for her lead role on the TV show True Jackson, VP, which aired on Nickelodeon. She also portrayed singer Chilli in the TLC biopic, CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story which aired on VH1 in 2013 and had a lead role in the movie Brotherly Love which hit theaters in 2015.
Antoinette “Toni” Childs(originally played by Jill Marie Jones):Aeja Lee
- Aeja Lee is currently a cast member on BET’s The Quad. Her character, Tiesha Tyson, is an aspiring news reporter with a lot of sass and a pretty fly wardrobe.
William Dent(originally played by Reggie Hayes): George O. Gore
- George O. Gore is probably best known for his role as the dim-witted teenager on My Wife and Kids. He also appeared on BET’s Second Generation Wayans in 2013. Back in the 90s, George appeared on the police drama New York Undercover and the crime drama, Juice.
Wishful thinking never hurt anyone.